- dress code
- nouna set of rules specifying the correct manner of dress while on the premises of the institution (or specifying what manner of dress is prohibited)
* * *a set of rules specifying the garb or type of clothing to be worn by a group or by people under specific circumstances: a military dress code; The restaurant's dress code requires men to wear jackets and ties at dinner.
* * *a set of rules about what you should wear in a particular place or at a particular eventThesaurus: moral rules and rules of behavioursynonym morally good or correct
* * *n. a set of rules, usually written and posted, specifying the required manner of dress at a school, office, club, restaurant, etc
while the dress code doesn't require two-tone shoes, you will get turned away if you wear jeans■ the customary style of dress of a specified group
jeans or shorts, the standard dress code for producer types
* * *noun, pl ⋯ codes [count]
The school imposed a new dress code that forbids students from wearing jeans.
a casual dress code
* * *ˈdress code 7 [dress code] nounrules about what clothes people should wear at work
The company has a strict dress code— all male employees are expected to wear suits.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.